The Hong Kong Ballet Group, a non-profit organization, was formed in July 1964 by a group of local ballet teachers with the support of the then Education Department. The Ballet Group is dedicated to promoting ballet education and nurturing local ballet talents, by staging full length ballet performances, and organizing not only workshops and seminars but also the first open ballet competition in Hong Kong. Promising talents will be encouraged by scholarships; and international artists are invited to work alongside local students to give them an exposure to international professional standards. The Ballet Group strives to instill its passion for this art form into the younger generation and to the wider public audience of Hong Kong.
The main objectives of the Hong Kong Ballet Group are:
- To provide ballet performing opportunities for its members
- To provide a neutral platform for students from different schools to work together
- To identify young dance talents through competition and encourage their development by awards and scholarships
- To recruit teachers and artists to promote ballet on a voluntary basis
- To invite internationally renowned artists to work with our student members to enhance their exposure to international standards
- To broaden public awareness and interest in ballet for building audiences for this art form